Happy Cinco de Mayo!! I don’t know about you, but I never need an excuse to eat Mexican food, but since it’s Cinco de Mayo, I thought it was a good reason to share one of our favorite mexican recipes with you — Clean Eating Pork Carnitas that are 21 Day Fix approved!
These pork carnitas have everything you love about carnitas at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Tender pork that falls apart, slightly sweet from the fruit juice, savory from the spices, and just a little bit of kick from the chili powder. And best of all, those crispy bits and pieces from finishing it off under the broiler.
The recipe makes a lot, so be prepared to have leftovers to put on top of salads, inside burritos, tacos, or burrito bowls later in the week.
This is yummy topped with your favorite taco toppings or even just plain in corn tortillas. Our family likes them with homemade pico de gallo, a little bit of sour cream or greek yogurt, lettuce, and cheese.
- 4 pound boneless pork roast
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 T. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 oranges
- 2 limes
- Corn tortillas
- Taco Toppings (Lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, etc.)
- Place pork roast in crockpot.
- Sprinkle spices on top.
- Layer onions on roast.
- Squeeze juice from the oranges and limes over meat and onions, then put the entire fruit in the crockpot as well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove pork roast from crockpot and shred, reserving juices in crockpot.
- Discard the oranges and limes.
- Return the shredded pork to the crockpot and allow it to sit in the juices for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil. Remove pork from crockpot with a slotted spoon and spread out evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Broil until the edges of the meat start to look crispy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve inside corn tortillas with favorite taco toppings.
- Pork - 1 Red
- 2 Corn Tortillas - 1 Yellow
- Cheese - 1 Blue
- Veggies on top - 1 Green
Bullet Journal Updates
If you'd like to receive my latest Bullet Journal posts, store discounts, and fun freebies via email, leave your email below.