For those who are regular readers here, you know I’m a big proponent of clean eating. Filling your body with whole, clean ingredients makes you feel good inside and out. One of the issues I had when switching to eating clean, whole foods was getting enough healthy protein. I have a big family, so buying grass-fed beef and free-range chickens is too expensive when you’re feeding so many people. Cottage cheese has become one of my go-to sources of fast, easy protein. I love that it’s so versatile. It can be eaten cold, on its own or with other ingredients, stirred into dips, pureed and put in soups, or added to casseroles and other hot dishes. I’ve been surprised how many cottage cheese recipes are out there.
When it comes to cottage cheese, Daisy Brand is my favorite because it’s not full of artificial ingredients. I used the Daisy 2% variety in this recipe. It’s 100% pure, with no additives, preservatives, or added growth hormones. A 1/2 cup serving has 90 calories, 13 grams of protein and 4 total carbs. This makes me feel good about feeding it to my family.
I’ve had a spaghetti squash sitting on my counter for a couple months, so I decided to stuff it with cheesy, delicious lasagna filling. It was tasty, filling, and best of all good for you. The whole family loved it.
I often cook spaghetti squash whole in the crockpot, but for this recipe I cut it in half and scraped out the seeds. Then I rubbed the surface with olive oil and added some sea salt and fresh-ground pepper and then baked them with the cut side down on a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes until they were just starting to get soft.
I flipped the squash back over and filled each half with the cottage cheese filling, covered it with spaghetti sauce and baked for another 30 minutes. Just before removing it from the oven, I topped it with mozzarella and left it in the oven for another 5 minutes until the cheese was melted and bubbling.
21 Day Fix Container Counts:
Squash, veggies, & spaghetti sauce – 1 Green
Ground Turkey & Cottage Cheese – 1 Red
Cheese – 1 Blue
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Rub surface with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn face down in a glass dish and bake on 400 for 30 minutes.
- Brown meat with onion and pepper.
- Mix meat, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, eggs, and garlic.
- After baking squash, fill each half with cottage cheese filling.
- Spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce on top of each half.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Top with the rest of the mozzarella and bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Allow squash to sit for 10 minutes after removing from the oven.
Journey into Journaling
Join me on a journey to self-discovery and learn the healing power of journaling.