If you’re like most people, getting healthier is probably on your list of things to do this year. Now that it’s almost February, you may have lost some of your resolve. If that’s true, don’t worry. Making extreme overnight changes rarely works. Instead of getting down on yourself, maybe it’s time to simplify. Instead of having one overarching goal to lose weight or get healthy, try breaking it down into some simple, daily healthy habits.
Let’s look at some simple healthy rituals you can start TODAY.
6 Simple Healthy Habits
1) Decide how you want to feel. Before you grab your phone to check email or social media in the morning, take a few moments to check-in with yourself. What is on your mind? How does your body feel? How do you feel emotionally? Then decide how you want to feel, and how you want your day to unfold. Do you want to feel positive? Accomplished? Organized? Relaxed? Happy? Simply naming it will open your mind to consciously look for ways to make it happen.
2) Start your day with warm water and lemon. Squeeze half a lemon into a glass of warm water. It has amazing health benefits including keeping your liver and digestive system clean, eliminating toxins, giving you clearer skin, more energy, and a boost in your metabolism. For even greater benefit, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. You can read more about this practice from Food Babe.
2) Get some exercise. This doesn’t have to be a workout at the gym. Go for a short walk, throw in an exercise DVD, turn on some music and dance with your kids, any kind of movement will do. Develop a minimum exercise standard for yourself that you stick to no matter what. Focus on changing your mindset and notice what exercise adds to your life. If you’d like some group motivation and support, join one of my challenge groups!
3) Eat a healthy breakfast. Get your day off to a good start by including some complex carbohydrates and lean protein. Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day. Eating within an hour of waking up gets your metabolism going and signals your body to start using fuel instead of holding onto it. It gives your body and brain an energy boost, so you’ll be more productive throughout the day.
4) Schedule 15 minutes to relax! Life is busy. Make sure you schedule in some down time. Create a happy list and schedule in at least 15 minutes to do something for yourself each day. Take a nap, read a book, cuddle with a loved one, meditate, or just hangout. It feels so good when you take time to relax.
5) Practice gratitude. Spend a few minutes and write down what you’re grateful for. To really dig deep, pick one thing you’re grateful for and write down five reasons why. As you focus each day on gratitude, you’ll find yourself noticing all the many blessings you have.
6) Add a fruit or vegetable to every meal. Instead of focusing on eliminating bad food from your diet, focus on adding in the good stuff. Simply add one fruit or vegetable to every meal or snack. Before you know it, all that healthy goodness is crowding out some of the bad stuff.
Pick two or three of these to add this month. You’ll be surprised how much these simple healthy habits will add to your overall feeling of health and happiness!