It snowed at my house this weekend! I love this time of year. It makes me want to snuggle up in my warm house in my pajamas and make soup. That’s exactly what I did. My kids think I’m strange because I’m always taking pictures of my food to share with you guys.
This soup is probably unlike anything you’ve ever had before? Cinnamon? In soup? Yep.
This soup is savory (from the spices) and creamy (from the coconut milk), and best of all, it’s healthy!
I often make this for my weekly meal prep. I usually freeze it in pint mason jars. When I need something quick to take for work, I grab a jar out of the freezer, take off the lid and fill the top with fresh kale. Because it’s frozen, it doesn’t need refrigeration, and it’s thawed and ready to heat by lunchtime. The fresh kale cooks perfectly while the soup reheats and doesn’t end up overcooked and mushy. I’ve actually done this with a lots of different soups because I’m always trying to add greens in my diet.
Sometimes we make this same recipe into Coconut Chicken Tortilla Soup by adding cilantro instead of kale, then topping it with mozzarella cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
Kale & Coconut Chicken Soup
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped roma tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 Tbs minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 2 cups chopped kale
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: mozarella cheese tortilla strips, cilantro
- Cook chicken in pan with coconut oil, cut cooked chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Pour chicken broth into large soup pot.
- Chop carrots and onion and add to chicken broth, turn on medium and boil for 10 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Add garlic, spices and chopped tomato and chicken to broth.
- Add coconut milk and chopped kale. Warm through, but don't allow to boil.
Chicken - 1 Red
Vegetables - 1 Green
Coconut Milk - 1 Blue
21 Day Fix Container Counts:
Chicken – 1 Red
Vegetables – 1 Green
Coconut Milk – 1 Blue
Follow me on Pinterest and never miss a recipe post!