Recipe ReDux is a recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians who believe that healthy eating should always taste delicious. I was excited to be added to the exclusive group of bloggers who participate each month.
A Play on Patties : While St. Patty’s Day will be over by the time The Recipe ReDux rolls around this month, we’re celebrating the “patty” all month long. We’ve seen images of stacked patties go crazy on food photo sharing sites like HealthyAperture — so stack ‘em up!
In honor of the holiday and clean eating, I wanted to add something green to my patty recipe. I decided to go with spinach and pesto — because I love them both. If you have family members who aren’t fond of pesto (like I do) you can leave it out, or cook half of them without, then add pesto to the last half of the mixture.
Pesto Quinoa Patties
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 4 eggs
- 4 chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs or wholegrain bread crumbs
- 1 T. prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 T olive oil
- Rinse and cook quinoa in 2 cups water for approximately 20 minutes.
- Let quinoa cool slightly, then stir in fresh spinach.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Shape into 12 approximately 1 inch thick patties.
- Cook patties in 2 or 3 batches in a small amount of olive oil for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
These are healthy and packed with protein so no need to add a meat dish. The first night, I served them in pita bread with fresh veggies. I ate the leftovers cut up on a salad. One of my sons ate them with ketchup — I know….but better than a chicken nugget dipped in ketchup, right?
My favorite way to eat them was topped with an over easy egg. They would also be yummy covered with a hearty marinara.
Join the Conversation
Did you do anything special to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? What’s your favorite kind of patty?
Be sure to check out all the other patty recipes and find some awesome new healthy living bloggers!
[inlinkz_linkup id=376992 mode=1]