I often ask for input from my family when I’m creating my meal plan for the week. I have one son who never wants anything but meatballs. I used to buy the big bag of frozen meatballs from Costco, but they are pretty processed and far from eating clean.
I recently tried this recipe and it was a hit with the whole family. Nobody even realized it was ground turkey. The sauce does have a little bit of sugar, but it’s not that much when you only have a single portion. It’s much healthier than a bottled sweet & sour sauce. We ended up eating it as is, but it would be yummy over rice as well. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!
If you’re a fan of freezer meals, don’t miss the freezer directions beneath the recipe!
21 Day Fix Container Counts:
Ground Turkey – 1 Red
Oats & Almond Milk – 1/2 Yellow
Veggies – 1 Green
Pineapple – 1/2 Purple
Sweet & Sour Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk any kind of milk can be substituted
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger or use 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 can pineapple chunks or tidbits
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 T. mustard
- Mix ground turkey, onion, eggs, milk, oats, garlic and ginger.
- Shape meat mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet. Add meatballs in single layer and cook until well-browned on all sides.
- In the meantime, combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add sauce to meatballs in skillet. Cook 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through, and sauce has reduced to glaze consistency.
- Add pineapple and peppers for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Ground Turkey - 1 Red
Oats & Almond Milk - 1/2 Yellow
Veggies - 1 Green
Pineapple - 1/2 Purple
The meatballs can be made ahead of time. Mix all ingredients, then flash freeze by laying them out on a cookie sheet on tinfoil or parchment paper. Once they are frozen, put them in a gallon freezer bag. Mix the sauce ingredients in a quart-size freezer bag and place it inside the larger bag. When ready to cook, place the meatballs in the skillet frozen. Plan on an additional 15 minutes to brown the meatballs. You can speed it up a little by covering the skillet until they thaw. Proceed with the rest of the recipe instructions as written.
Join the Conversation
Do you ask for input from your family when meal planning? What are some of your family’s favorites?