Did you know April is National Grilled Cheese sandwich Month? I’ve seen all sorts of yummy cheesy goodness on my favorite blogs this month, so I wanted to join in with my version of a grown-up fancy grilled cheese sandwich.
I make all sorts of delicious healthy recipes and my kids complain. But when I make grilled cheese and homemade tomato soup they act like I’m the best mom ever. It’s one of our go-to meals because it’s quick, easy, and I always have everything in the house.
For this grown-up version of grilled cheese, I decided to add Neufchatel cheese to make it super creamy. If you’re not familiar with Neufchatel, it’s a creamy cheese similar to cream cheese, but is slightly lower in calories. It tastes very similar to cream cheese.
I knew I wanted to add basil to my sandwich, so Mozzarella seemed like a good second cheese to use.
In my opinion, fresh herbs make everything better, and I’ve always loved adding veggies to grilled cheese to give it a nice pop of freshness. Today I opted for fresh basil and tomato.
One last tip before we get to the recipe. I know most people use butter on the outside of their grilled cheese sandwich, and I often do too. But, it’s also a great opportunity to get in some of your healthy fats for the day, so I used coconut oil instead.
Grown-up Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 oz. Neufchatel or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 T. fresh basil chopped
- 1 roma tomato finely diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or chopped garlic
- 8 slices bread
- Coconut oil
- Mix cheeses, chopped basil, tomato, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Spread coconut oil on each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread coconut oil side down on preheated skillet.
- Put 1/4 of cheese mixture on each slice of bread.
- Top with other slice of bread and toast each side until lightly browned and crispy, and cheese is melted.